Peppermint Mocha Biscotti
Inspired by Starbuck’s Peppermint Mocha lattes, here’s something delicious I created to go with it! Happy Holidays =)
5 peppermint candy canes, crushed to bits1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)1/3 package almond bark coating, in white or milk chocolate1/3 package Wilton’s Candy Melts® in red 2 parchment bags
- Place candy canes in a ziploc bag. On a hard suface, crush candy canes into bits and pieces by hitting them with a rolling pin, a rock, a shoe, driving over them with a car, or anything that gets the job done. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, instant coffee, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs and peppermint extract. Beat until mixture is slightly thickened and opaque in color (about 3-5 minutes). Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in almonds and about half of the crushed candy canes.
- Divide dough in half. With floured hands, shape into two 12-inch long rolls. Place each long roll (or log) on one large or two small non-stick baking sheets. Flatten tops of logs slightly with spatula.
- Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 25-30 minutes or until firm. Let biscotti cool on baking sheet(s) on wire rack(s) for 5 minutes. Cut biscotti into 1/2-inch thick slices; arrange cut side down on baking sheets. Return biscotti to oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes at 325° F. Remove biscotti to wire rack(s) to cool completely.
- Place cooled biscotti onto large sheet of wax or parchment paper. Melt almond bark coating according to package directions. Pour melted almond bark coating into a parchment bag. Cut off very tip of parchment bag, about a quarter of a centimeter. Drizzle almond bark coating over cooled biscotti. (With second parchment bag, repeat almond bark coating steps using Wilton’s Candy Melts® this time.) Take remaining crushed candy canes and sprinkle onto biscotti.
Makes about 2 dozen.